8 ¾ in (22.2 cm)
According to Dr. S.V. Padigar, the brass image was dedicated on 23 February 1589. It portrays the Jina Parshvanatha, who is distinguished from the other twenty-three Jinas of the Jain pantheon by the seven-hooded snake that forms a canopy over his head. Otherwise, he does not differ from the others and typically is an impassive, naked figure seated in the classic posture of meditation, with his hands placed on his lap in the gesture of contemplation (dhyanamudra). The nudity of the figure indicates that the donor, not named in the dedicatory inscription, belonged to the Digambara (sky-clad) order of Jainism, which predominates in Karnataka.
one of the twenty-four Jinas, or liberated teachers, worshipped by the
Jains. Various tutelary and protective divinities of both sexes are
also worshipped, but they are subservient to the twenty-four Jinas.
Hence, two such deities are represented here as diminutive figure standing
in attendance in front of the tiered base with a pinched waist. The
male on the Jina's right is Dharana and the female opposite is Padmavati.
Although called yakshi and yakshi, rather than deva
or devi, like the Hindu and Buddhist deities, they have multiple
limbs and are venerated in a similar fashion.
all text and images © The Trustees of the Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore